Monday, August 31, 2009

Gourmet Cheeseburger Amuse Bouche




An amuse bouche is typically a one-bite wonder prepared by a chef to showcase his or her talents. Not listed on the menu, it's a little extra something that is not listed on the menu served before the meal to help whet the appetite. These did just that; my kids asked for far more than I had made.

These use Etorki sheeps' milk cheese, one of the delicious pressed French cheeses offered by Ile de France. The flavor is very reminiscent of a sharp white New York cheddar, but a bit milder and very creamy, not dry as sharp cheddar's tend to be. I thought the flavor was deeper than most French cheeses, which tend to be milder overall, and we really like this one.



Gourmet Cheeseburger Amuse Bouche
Makes 24
Printable Recipe

6 slices bread
1 pound ground beef (80/20 is best for burgers)
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
1 garlic clove - minced
24 roasted red pepper strips
1/4 pound Etorki sheep's milk cheese
fresh basil chiffonade

Toast bread, remove crusts and cut each slice into 4 squares.
Combine ground beef, Worcestershire, pepper, garlic and salt and mix well. Shape beef into 24 small patties and broil or pan fry until done - this takes only a few minutes to do. Drain on paper toweling.
Place a patty on each toast square and top with red pepper and cheese. Microwave or broil for a few seconds, just until cheese melts. Top with basil chiffonade and serve.


5 comments:

chow and chatter said...

yummy oh the cheese guy never contacted me, love your little burgers

Rebecca

Diane said...

You're amazing. Seven kids and you make things like this for them to eat.
My family had hot dogs in crescent rolls for dinner tonight.

Anne Coleman said...

Nah, I ate them all myself and the kids got PLAIN hot dogs ;)

Jennie said...

These little little burgers are so cute! They look delicious!

Theresa111 said...

I must say that I like amuse bouche the best. I really miss the pastry kitchen and classroom. I wish for a kitchen like that!