Friday, June 19, 2009

Grandma's Confetti Cookies


Red, White and Blue Confetti Cookies
Confetti Cookies dyed for 4th of July

When I was a child I spent part of nearly every summer at my grandparents' home in Tipton, Indiana. Grandma Sharp, my maternal grandmother, having only had one child of her own, spent her time herding my four brothers and me off to activities and church and cooking mountains of food for us - no small feat.

She had several specialties, one of which was Confetti Cookies, a recipe she had gotten from her cousin Juanita Searfoss. They are a delicate pink color filled with rainbow colored nonpareils, or confetti, and dusted with powdered sugar. My mother didn't make them so we always looked forward to having them at grandma's.

When I got older, I was given the recipe and started making them for myself and thoroughly enjoyed each batch. Just the aroma of them baking brought back happy childhood memories for me.

Just before the birth of my first child, a girl,  I was living with my in-laws. I had made several dozen Confetti Cookies just days before our daughter arrived. When my mother-in-law came to the hospital to visit with her new granddaughter, she brought along a container filled with those cookies and a note about "...pink cookies for your baby girl." As a first-time mom, and only 21 years-old, I was comforted greatly by that little bit of home she delivered to me.

Grandma's Confetti Cookies
Traditionally Colored Confetti Cookies

In the early 1990's when grandpa passed away, grandma was also ill and needed care. She came to Pennsylvania to live with my mom and step-father in their home. Part of grandma's illness caused her to not be able to eat many of the foods she loved. One of the few things she could tolerate, though, was Confetti Cookies. It was time for roles to reverse, and it was now my turn to make the cookies for her. I made them as needed over a 12-year period and was honored to bake and deliver them to grandma. The time visiting with her when I dropped them off was so special and she was so very appreciative; her face lit up each time I handed them to her.

Grandma is gone now, she passed in 2005 at the age of 97, but that recipe lives on. I make Confetti Cookies often for my 7 children, changing colors to suit the occasion, but they never taste exactly the same; they never taste just like the ones that grandma used to bake.

Confetti Drops
Mrs C.L. Searfoss
Printable Recipe

1 c spry (shortening)
2 c flour
6 T sugar
1/4 c milk
1 oz confetti candy (multi-colored non-pareils)
1 t vanilla or almond extract
1/4 t salt
red food coloring
powdered sugar

Mix shortening and sugar and salt. Add red food coloring to milk so it distributes well-ebough so the dough will be a pretty pink. Add extract to milk also. Add flour alternately with milk. Add confetti and mix well so it gets throughout the dough.

Roll into 1" balls and flatten slightly on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Do not let them brown!
The original recipe says to roll them in powdered sugar while warm but I always wind up with a sticky mess if I do this so I let them cool first.

10 comments:

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Love this. Little one has a sensitivity to red dye but that could easily be left out!

Annie Jones said...

I don't use shortening; they may not taste the same, but I think I'll try them with butter. Just wondering if you have ever made them with butter and what kind of results you had.

Love the story that goes with them!

Amanda said...

Anne these look so wonderful!

Anne Coleman said...

Judy, Annie, Amanda - thank you!

Annie- I have made them with butter - I don't like them as much (only because they don't taste the same), but here is the link to that:

http://family.go.com/blog/shortordermom/shamrock-drops-220977/

kat said...

What a wonderful story, thanks for sharing.

Ziggy Stardust said...

I am going to make these, thank you for sharing the recipe and the story.

Anne

Karin W. said...

I came across a splog. Shall we "kill" this blog scraper, Anne?

homecookingtips.info/grandmas-confetti-cookies/

Karin W. said...

Well Anne, I sent a letter advising him/her of my options. My content is now removed.
That was quick.

I also received a reply from utterli.com:
...We will communicate with this user....

Heather said...

Anne, I just wanted to tell you that I made these cookies for a block party yesterday and they were a big hit! Very delicate and pretty and of course the sprinkles make them most attractive! Thanks for the recipe!

Anne Coleman said...

Heather - thank you so much for letting me know! Grandma would be pleased :)