Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Chicken Spanakopita

Spanakopita may well be one of the finest foods on this earth. The flaky, crispy phyllo and tangy feta combined with tender spinach and a moist cheese filing make it like no other food. I'm not sure where I got the idea to add chicken, but I did and it turned out really well. There is a single top crust to this as I was afraid the added chicken may make a bottom crust too moist and spoil the whole dish. I might do it again and try the bottom crust, but either way, this was very good indeed.

I used a variation of Helene Bozakis' recipe that my mom uses, subbing scallions for the onion, ricotta for cottage cheese, half the spinach and eggs, and I'm starting to think her recipe is foolproof, because it was just as delicious as always.



Chicken Spanakopita
Serves 8
Printable Recipe

Half of a 12oz box of phyllo sheets
1 stick butter-melted

1 lb frozen chopped spinach thawed and squeezed until dry
1 bunch scallions thinly sliced white and green parts
3T olive oil

8 chicken breast filets cooked lightly on both sides
1 c. feta cheese - crumbled
1 lb. ricotta cheese
1/4 c. grated Parmesan
2 T chopped fresh dill
3 eggs slightly beaten
1/4 t. nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste

Lay cooked chicken breast filets on the bottom of a lightly greases 9x13 baking pan.
Cook scallions in oil until fragrant - about 2 minutes and add spinach. Stir and cook for 2 minutes longer or until no liquid is visible.
Combine ricotta, Parmesan and feta with eggs and blend well. Add dill, nutmeg and salt and pepper - mix.
Blend spinach and cheeses together until well combined - spoon over chicken breasts in pan.
Brush each sheet of phyllo with butter and layer on top of chicken and spinach until all phyllo sheets are used up. Brush top layer with butter and tuck ends into the side of the pan.
Bake at 350F for 45 minutes until golden and crisp.
Let stand 10-15 min. before cutting. Good served hot or cold.

10 comments:

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Wow that looks delicious!!! I love the idea of adding chicken to the spanakopita!

Peter M said...

Well Annie, there is a Greek dish called Kotopita (chicken pie), so you're thinking in the right direction.

Looks fab and and you handled phyllo like a champ.

Anne Coleman said...

Oooh, Peter! If the Greek Master says so, then it must be true! Thanks for the comments Peter and Judy :)

Deborah Dowd said...

I love spanikopita! A great meatless dinner for our meatless Fridays!

Ziggy Stardust said...

I have always wanted to make this and I am going to give this a try. Wish me luck and I will let you know. It looks incredible and the ingredients sound perfect.

Anne

kat said...

Yummy! I love the addition of chicken. I'll have to remember to make this with the spinach I have in the freezer

giz said...

Now there's a novel idea. I like the recipe you used - I used nearly the exact recipe regularly and not only does it cut down the caloric count but it doesn't lose anything in flavour.

Lo said...

I can't get enough of spanikopita. The chicken addition is nice -- and I'll bet it would be just fine with a bottom crust.

Rumela said...

Wow!! chicken spanakopita.....they are just delicious. they are looking great and I am sure that they taste great too. the combine ricotta enriches the taste of these spanakopita. Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

I just made this! Everyone enjoyed it. I did change the recipe slightly, because we are "watching" our diet choices- easily though, because all I did was buy the light or fat free version of the ingredients, like the butter, feta and ricotta. I couldn't find my supply of nutmeg, so next time I bet it'll be even better! Thanks so much!