Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Veggie Wednesday: Fried Green Tomatoes



I adore fried tomatoes--green or red. My mom, being from an area of Indiana with a large Southern influence, talked about these often when I was growing up. Only thing that would make this better would be ham with red-eye gravy and grits.



1 egg
1 T milk
1/3 c flour
1/3 c cornmeal OR breadcrumbs (that's simply a preference thing)
1 t salt
1/4 t paprika
1/8 t cayenne pepper
1/8 t black pepper
3 firm green or under ripe tomatoes
oil for frying

Beat egg and milk together well. Mix flour, cornmeal or breadcrumbs and spices--(My own way is nothing but salt and pepper-add the other spices only if you'd like to). Core tomatoes and cut into thick slices-about 4 per tomato. Dip slices in egg and then flour mixture to coat. Heat 1/4 inch of oil in a large skillet (cast iron works beautifully for this!) until hot. Brown tomatoes on both sides and drain well. Serve immediately.

Now I'm going to see if any of my green tomatoes are big enough for this!

13 comments:

Catharine said...

Fried green tomatoes are a great way to use these beauties. Also think about a fried green tomato and bacon and lettuce sandwich. Very yum.

Can't wait to read your other entries!

Aphrodite's daughter said...

Anne, I am happy to find you! I'm going to put a link on my blog! I love the recipes!-Janet

Anonymous said...

I love fried green tomatoes, and haven't fixed them in a very long time. And we have sooo many tomatoes this year.

I think we'll have some tonight.

Thanks,

Cas

Anne Coleman said...

Well, girls, my tomatoes are still a little too small--I'm watching them like a hawk now, though :O)

Amanda Wheeler said...

I love the movie, but have never tried the food.

I want to try them, but I can't find green tomatoes in Maine. Can you use red?

Anne Coleman said...

Amanda, I do! I love both.

Anonymous said...

Hey, great version!
Thanks for sharing it...
The Kitchen Troll's Blog

KFarmer said...

I love me some fried green tomatoes! Oh and cheese grits, red-eye gravy.. drooling :) Green tomatoes make a great salsa too- not that I would have any after the geese insident... lol..

& yes, we do need and I think we will~ meet one day :)

Anne Coleman said...

Thanks, Troll!

K-I'll bring the 'maters.

Truth said...

Guess it is the part of the country you live in, I honestly didn't know this was a real food. So I guess I'm just going to have to try it now. Oh, I have so much to learn! By-the-way, you are a *star* on my blog today. http://live4truth13.blogspot.com/2007/07/blogger-reflection-award-this-award.html

Mansi said...

Hi, ths is really a nice dish to try...as Truth suggested, will have to try out and see, but i'm all for experimenting with food!! btw, check out my new post of coffee at http://funnfud.blogspot.com

-Mansi
http://funnfud.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Love your blog - you have wonderful recipes and I LOVE fried green tomatoes!!

Anne Coleman said...

Yes, Joanne-it's a real food! More southern than anything-not many here in Pa. would eat them.

Hi Mansi, thanks for stopping by!

Gal, pull up a chair and get your fork ready!