Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Veggie Wednesday: Pissaladièra

Pissaladièra
Pissaladièra

Pissaladière (pissaladiera in Provençal) is a beautiful onion tart from Nice that is typically made with sautéed onions on a 'pizza' crust and crisscrossed with anchovies and dotted with black olives before being baked. As fond as I am of anchovies, I don't like their tiny little bones and so, I make my pissaladière with a puree of anchovy and olive spread beneath the onions.

I made this yesterday and it was so delicious. My older girls raved about it and the almost-three- year-old ate his fair share as well. The rest of the kids (as can be expected) turned up their little noses and ate something else for dinner.

Printable Recipe

I use my own 'recipe' for pizza dough, which isn't a recipe at all; it's one of those things I throw together until it 'feels right'. The crust yesterday was superb, if I do say so myself. I can only share with you that it starts with one packet of dry yeast, a cup or so of warm water, about a 1/4 cup of oil (olive, if you have it!), a healthy pinch of sugar, a fair amount of salt and enough flour to make a pliable dough. Once the dough is formed, let it stand for about half an hour under a towel and in a warm spot in your kitchen. Punch it down and form into a 'pizza' round. I have a 16" pizza pan, and that was perfect.

The olive and anchovy paste is similar to tapenade, but not exact.

1 cup of pitted oil cured black olives
1 tablespoon anchovy paste
1 garlic clove


Blend this all together until a fine paste forms. Spread onto the pizza dough.

Before any of this, and while the pizza dough is rising, slice up 3 large yellow onions and mince 2 cloves of garlic. Sauté the onions in a large pan in olive oil until limp. Add the garlic, a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper and a tablespoon or so of sea salt. Continue sautéing until the onions begin to caramelize; don't overdo on the coloring.

Spread the onions over the olive and anchovy spread and top with more black olive halves. Bake in a hot (400 degree F) oven until the crust is browned.

8 comments:

Janet said...

Wow - very impressed that even some of your kids ate this. Mine wouldn't - not with olive and oniona and anchovies... wouldn't stop me from making it though!

Angela said...

You are industrious for sure! :-) Making your own pizza crust? No telling what mine would come out like. :-)

Hope you don't mind being tagged at http://www.angelabetts.com/blog/2007/06/27/tagged-blogs-bloggers/

If you do, my feelings won't be hurt. ;-)

Truth said...

Oh my goodness, I've never seen anything so lovely looking! I've never cooked with anchovy paste, but this looks absolutely heavenly. I guess I'm about to take the plunge and venture into unchartered waters. Thanks!

Mary said...

Great recipe,
Looks lovely, my son would love it.
see my pizza recipe at italian recipes blog

Great looking food!
Ciao!

KFarmer said...

Good gracious! I could dive right into the middle of that and do the back stroke (while munching and crunching :)

Marion said...

mmmm...Anne, that looks really lovely and absolutely scrumptious!

You make your dough the same way I do, pretty much...I never know exactly how much flour I use. It depends on the weather, to a large degree.

Anonymous said...

Yum!

A brave move with your own pizza crust Anne, good on you and looks divine!

Hi from Dubai! Love your work, Jim n Em aka GO! Smell the flowers.

Reeni said...

That looks fantastic! My family would love it. I prefer anchovy paste too. I want to make this, like, right now!