Monday, September 05, 2005

Comfort

With all that is going on in NOLA all I can think of is needing comfort. For me, comfort is family and I am reminded of my great-grandmother, Edna Lola Barnes (nee Murphy).





I still remember her baking cookies in her tiny kitchen, in her tiny home that sat just behind Grandma and Grandpa Sharp's home in Tipton, Indiana. This is the recipe for the cookies she made, and this is the bowl (that I now own) that she made them in:





Grandma Barnes' Brown Sugar Cookies
Printable Recipe

2 eggs
1 cup shortening
2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream together well and add:

2 teaspoons baking powder
3 1/2 cups flour

Mix until well blended (very stiff dough) and shape into a roll-about 2" in diameter and flatten slightly so the roll is oval shaped. Wrap in waxed paper and chill for several hours.

Remove from waxed paper and cut into slices about 3/8" thick.

Bake on a cookie sheet-spaced 1/2" apart in a 350 degree F oven for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown.

Grandma always iced hers but I don't have that recipe. Most likely it was a margarine/vanilla/powdered sugar icing (not thick like for cakes) that she used.


1 comment:

Adopted Son said...

Mmmm. You forgot to mention the raw dough tastes a million times better than the finished cookie :)