Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Delicious Autumn

Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it,
and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth
seeking the successive autumns.
- George Eliot


I am lucky enough to live in a climate that experiences, in their fullest, each season the world has to offer. Of all four, Fall is my favorite. The intense aromas and colors are unmatched in any other season. The sky is never bluer and the shadows seem to take on a life all their own in Autumn.

The foods of this time of year also tend to be my favorites. Apples abound, pumpkins are ripe and ovens are lit in expectation of comforting dishes.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

Anne's Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Makes 24 standard sized muffins or 12 large
Printable Recipe

4 eggs
1 c white sugar
1 c brown sugar
l can pumpkin (15 oz.- about 2 cups)
3/4 c vegetable oil
3/4 c olive oil
1 t vanilla
3 c flour
2 t baking soda
2 t baking powder
l t ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
l t salt
2 c semisweet chocolate chips

In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, pumpkin and oils until smooth.
Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt-add to
pumpkin mixture and mix well. Fold in chips. Fill greased or
paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400 degrees F for
16 to 20 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan 10 minutes
before removing to a wire rack.


Ham Balls
My "Ham Ball" with Ham Balls!

Ham Balls
Ham Balls


Ham Balls
Makes 12 individual size loaves
Printable Recipe

Makes 24  2-ounce ham balls

1 pound ground pork
2 pounds ground cooked ham
2 cups dry bread crumbs
2 teaspoons dry ground mustard
1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup water
3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 Tablespoons brown or grainy mustard

In a large bowl combine pork, ham, bread crumbs, dry mustard, salt, eggs and milk. Mix well with hands.
Shape into 24 meatballs and set on a greased baking sheet.
Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
Heat brown sugar, water, vinegar and mustard over low heat until sugar is completely dissolved. 
Pour over meatballs and toss to cover.

3 comments:

Babette said...

Fall foods! I'm making black bean and pumpkin soup for dinner tonight.

You are generous to share your family recipes!

Anne Coleman said...

I wouldn't dream of witholding a recipe! I get so much joy from seeing others happy (which has usually meant "well-fed" in my family) that I feel I MUST share recipes.

dalene said...

Bonnie--Black bean and pumpkin soup--my mouth is watering. Do share please (the recipe, that is).

Anne--I love that there is olive oil in your muffin recipe. I have a hard time sneaking that in so none of my kids say "This tastes funny." Can't wait to try it!