Saturday, August 27, 2005

So You Say It's Your Birthday

Yesterday was my 37th birthday. I had a really good day that started with gifts from my kids. I got several handmade pictures from the 3 oldest girls:










a book by my favorite author and completely devoted to food, "French Lessons" by Peter Mayle, an adorable red creamer that is a miniature version of a pitcher I already have,



a Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer to replace one I lost and also since Burt's Bees is my favorite for personal care items, a new hot pad since all my old ones were totally gross and tossed out before we moved,


a soap from Pre de Provence, 2 Toblerone, a package of Sixlets, another small chocolate, and a sample of Camille Beckman's hand cream from The Foo Foo Shoppe one of our favorite stores here in Downtown Bethlehem.

My mom came and got me and the baby to take me to lunch and "junking", or thrift shopping.



After lunch at mom's favorite spot (she is diabetic and can only eat at certain places) we went to Marshall's where I found a few things I fell in love with; a beautiful sunflower pitcher,



a book I have been coveting for quite some time,



wonderful Olive Oil soap from Asquith and Somerset, a small book that mom snuck into my bag at the last moment after I said I thought is was "cute", "A Thousand and One Household Hints", and a small salad plate which I completely adore~it reads "Les Olives de Provence" around the edge and that is exactly what it will be used for~olives!



Nothing special at the thrift stores~disappointing but really I could have just gone home with what I already had.

When I returned home the kids were waiting for me with a "party". They had gone shopping with our oldest daughter and bought several of my favorite snack-type things which they had set out nicely. They even bought me a cake! The girls decorated with streamers and they all had a hand in a Birthday sign.


Last, but not least, there was a package from my mother-in-law with Sweet Pea scented Bath and Body Works things~mmm.
I think I got more for my birthday this year than I get any year at Christmas!

I also got to talk to dad on the phone (he had sent a card and birthday money) and that pretty much topped off a great day :)











4 comments:

Babette said...

Beautiful birthday for a beautiful mother!

J'adore Peter Mayle and have only read his "Year in Provence" books. Thanks for your recommendation. I shall now read down for your recipes...

Melanie said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday! And I'm guessing you like sunflowers, too! ;) Happy belated birthday!

KFarmer said...

Happy belated birthday as well. I love to cook and look forward to checking out your recipes. I read to your wine post and understand completely. I did not like wine until I tried a German Riesling/ Spatlese. The alcohol content is low and it tastes like fruit. It is a party in your mouth-

Adopted Son said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Sis.
Sorry I didn't call- I'm terrible about that- besides, I've been overwhelmed with upcoming birthdays here- K's on the 9th and Liam's on the 12th. Oh well. I admit I'm a schmuk! (Is that how you spell that?) By the way, I like the blog- much more active than mine.