Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Spicy Pulled Pork and Jalapeño Mayo

Spicy Pulled Pork and Jalapeño Mayo
Spicy Pulled Pork and Jalapeño Mayo

This is a recipe I've been working on for months. Yes, months. I made it once and then found that no matter what I did I couldn't seem to duplicate it. I was frustrated. I think I've made pulled pork 6 times in the last two months trying to get this right.

Let's step back a moment. The first time I did this it came from the slow-cooker version of Italian Beef that's been floating around for a long time. Italian dressing mix packets and a good beef roast slow cooked for hours and then made into sandwiches. I thought - what's good for the beef is good for the pork, and I was right.

However, the first time I made it was with a 3 pound pork butt and a couple jalapeños. It was spicy. Boy, oh boy was it spicy! It was so good I decided to do it again but on a larger scale with a full 10  pound pork shoulder. Why not?

Once it was done it shredded beautifully and it was good, but not the same. Not spicy, not as flavorful. OK, I needed to step up the dressing packets and peppers. Or maybe try something different. I tried more packets, more peppers, extra garlic, extra black pepper. No, no, no and no.

So, I went back to the drawing board. A smaller roast, a slightly different method ... and BINGO.

Here's the recipe, and pay attention to the method so you don't skip out! Also, the may was a stroke of genius. These are dainty and proper sandwiches just because the barbecue sauce is missing - no, these are messy and divine.
Perfectly Roasted ... isn't that a beautiful crust?

Spicy Pulled Pork and Jalapeño Mayo
Printable Recipe

5 pound pork shoulder
4 medium jalapeños diced
3 packets Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing and Recipe Mix - divided
2 cups water

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Rinse pork and dry well. Place in a large roasting pan, fat side up.
3. Rub 2 packets of dressing mix all over pork.
4. Add jalapeños around roast and pour water into bottom of pan - do not pour over pork.
5. Roast for 5 hours or until fat forms a crisp crust and pork is easily shredded. Strain pan drippings well and set aside.
6. Cool until able to handle and remove excess fat and shred well.
7. Sprinkle last packet of dressing mix over pork and mix well.
8. Pour pan drippings over shredded pork and mix well.
9. Mound onto rolls and top with Jalapeño Mayo.

Jalapeño Mayo

1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1 Tablespoon minced jalapeño
1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice

Combine all and let stand for 10 minutes before using for shredded pork sandwiches.

No comments: