Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Caramelized Onion, Artichoke Heart and Goat Cheese Turnovers


Before I get to the recipe today, I have to let you know about a small article about me at The Meal Planning Mom. I was asked to send in a recipe for possible inclusion in one of the weekly menus at MenuForTheWeek.com, so I did. They liked it and are using it in this week's menu!

On to these delicious little turnovers. I had several spring vegetables on-hand that I was unsure what to make with. I finally decided on these handheld pies and they are far more delicious than I thought they would be.

Caramelized Onion, Artichoke Heart and Goat Cheese Turnovers
Makes 8 turnovers
Printable Recipe

10 cipollini onions - peeled and sliced
1 bunch green or spring onions - sliced
1 large shallot - sliced
2 cloves garlic - minced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup artichoke hearts in brine - drained and chopped
4 ounces goat cheese
1 recipe double-crust pie dough (I like pate brisee)
1 egg and 1 Tablespoon water beaten to make egg wash

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness and cut into 8 circles 3-inches in diameter. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
3. Combine olive oil and all onions in a small pan - cook over a low flame until caramelized. This can take up to 15 minutes.
4. When onions are done, place a spoonful in the center of each pastry circle. Top with artichoke hearts and goat cheese. Brush the edges of pastry with egg wash.
5. Fold over and press to close. Brush each with egg wash and bake on parchment lined baking sheets until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.

8 comments:

Scott K said...

These look absolutely incredible!

A. and M. said...

I am finally enjoing good food again..
you recipe sounds fantastic..artichokes mmmmm
well done for the insert..

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Sounds like you had a fortunate stock of ingredients. These look delicious.

CDC said...

congrats on the menu item! this recipe sounds great, but i've never had an artichoke, can you compare it to anything?

kat said...

oh my gosh, I like everything in these!

Unknown said...

That looks incredible.

Michelle Rittler said...

You had me at caramelized onions. Yum!

shai77 said...

Wow!!!
This looks so tasty.
You have a wonderful blog and i enjoyed visiting it very much. :-)