Sunday, January 03, 2010

The Year of Living Simply


At the beginning of last year I set out to slow things down a bit in my cooking life. Contrary to my desires, things got a bit out of hand and I did more work than I had planned and made many things that were far from 'slow food' (or, slow -er as I'd called it).

This year, however, I have a renewed sense of needing to simplify. I don't mean dumbed-down dishes or 3-ingredient casseroles, I mean simple as in, REAL. The less ingredients, the better, but only if they're real.

Gone from my vision are laundry-lists of ingredients with arm-length dissertations on preparation. In are the dishes like simple roast potatoes with garlic and rosemary or French bread made with no more than yeast, flour, water and salt. Desserts like flour-less chocolate cake fill the bill as well as stove-cooked puddings and custards with a handful of fresh ingredients and topped with fresh fruit.

Less is more in this instance, and I wholeheartedly and longingly embrace it. No more guessing about what is in a specific dish; I'll know and be able to recite each one to anyone inquiring. Moreover, I'll be helping the health and well-being of my family by providing food that remembers where it came from.

What is more delicious or comforting than a well-prepared stew contrived of meat or poultry, fresh potatoes, carrots and onion and a stock made yourself with the simplest of ingredients and freshest herbs? Add to that a loaf of egg bread made by hand and butter churned in a jar from fresh cream. I dare you to dream for yourself of a meal made completely of foods that are not processed or added to. I know you can, and if you can't you'll be able to turn to this blog for inspiration and recipes. Please come along - and bring your appetite.


5 comments:

Annie Jones said...

I'm looking forward to this!

Penny Pincher said...

I can't wait to see what you're cooking!

amycaseycooks said...

Real is good. Very good when it comes to cooking. Good luck in the upcomimg year!

Lo said...

Sounds like a great goal for the new year. Real is awesome -- and dishes made with just a few, high quality ingredients, are always the best. Can't wait to follow along with your adventures!

Kristen said...

I'm right there with you Anne. Sometimes life gets in the way and I fall off the bus, but then I get right back on again. Maybe this year I will stay on the bus longer ;-)

I hope this year is full of blessings for you and your family.