Thursday, July 09, 2009

In the Garden Today

It's no secret that I love gardening and think the world should take it up as its next great move toward sustainabilty. I recognize that not everyone has the means to do it, though, and I'm OK with that. This is why I share my garden so often on my blog.

I check my garden daily, usually twice, to water, weed and just look at it. I'm never less than amazed at how things grow and get a real thrill from growing things from seed. Plants are good, especially in colder climates where it may be harder to start from seed, but I like watching the first seed leaves pop out and enjoy witnessing the whole plant mature from the first pod to the last fruit on our plates. That goes for flowers, too - food for the bees. It makes our harvest a little later than others, but I think it's worth it.

Here's what I photographed this morning:






Cantaloupe flower.


Zucchini flower.


3 comments:

Lo said...

I love the beginnings of life & reproduction in the garden. So beautiful. And baby fruits and veggies are so incredibly cute.

We have but a small urban garden at our house -- but it brings us so much joy. And quite a bit of food, considering its small size.

Thanks for sharing.

Kate said...

Charley is very much like you in this respect. LOVES the garden & watching everything grow. I enjoy watching things grow and picking the fruits/veggies, but the whole weeding/tending the garden thing? So not my favorite part! LOL

Charley wants me to learn to can fruits/veggies so that he can have a bigger garden next year & we can save money throughout the year.... if you know how, would you maybe consider writing up a tutorial for those of us who are not so brilliant? :)

kat said...

Looks like our gardens are at about the same stage. We also really enjoyed watching it grow this year since we started our own seeds inside