Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Homemade Hummus and Wheat Pita

Hummus and whole wheat pita is one of my very favorite things. In fact, I joke with my son Ian that he's 'half hummus and pita' because I ate it so often when I was pregnant with him. I used to pay big money to get good hummus and pita and then I started making my own. Not only did it taste better, but it's so much cheaper that I don't buy the pre-made stuff any longer. I paid less than $5 for both the pita and hummus - a far sight less than when I bought it at the grocery.

It's also a lot easier than you may think. Here are the recipes I use most often.

Hummus
Makes 2 cups
Printable Recipe

2 cups cooked and drained garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1/2 cup tahini - sesame paste
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
juice of 1 lemon

Toss everything into a blender and pulse until smooth. For this one I added in a cup of diced red pepper. You can add in other veggies, etc. just make sure to balance out the liquid so the hummus isn't too thin.

Cooked chickpeas


Lemon, garlic, tahini and salt


Red pepper


Red Pepper Hummus



Homemade wheat pita

Wheat Pita
Makes 12
Printable Recipe

2 1/2 cups warm water
1 packet active dry yeast
1 tablespoon honey
2 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups white flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon olive oil

Stir flours together with salt and set aside. Add yeast to 1 cup of warm water and stir until dissolved. Mix in 1/2 cup of flours and let stand until bubbly.

Make a well in the center of the flours and pour in the yeast mixture. Start mixing together and add the remaining warm water. Stir well until combined and knead for 5-10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.

Coat a bowl with the oil and add the dough - turning over once to coat both sides with oil. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm spot until doubled in bulk.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F and place a cookie sheet into the oven to heat as well.

Punch down dough and divide into 12 equal pieces. On a well-floured surface, roll each piece of dough into a 6 inch circle. Let stand for 10 minutes. Taking turns, place each pita onto the preheated cookie sheet and bake for 4-5 minutes. Turn over once and continue baking until the pita puffs up. Remove from oven and push down gently with a wooden spoon to flatten out. Continue until each pita is baked. Let cool and store in plastic bags.

8 comments:

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

Hummus has become my new addiction! Who knew it could ever replace brownies! lol! I make it myself, also - you're right, so much less expensive! I have found that the "quality" of the beans does make a bit of difference, so I tend to not buy the cheapest store brand.

Thanks for the homemade pita recipe! I will have to try that!

Anne Coleman said...

Marisa - you're right! I usually cook from dry but I state 'cooked' in recipes so that people don't feel bound by the whole soaking and cooking deal.

Jess Kiley said...

That looks easy, and delicious! I will certainly try it!!!

Thistlemoon said...

Wow, Annie! This is so awesome! I am obsessed with this snack also. I have been making my own hummus for a while now, but have been nervous about making pita...so I think I will try your recipe very soon! Thanks for posting it!

Peter M said...

Great post Annie...especially the homemade pita bread!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Looks delicious! I really need to try making my own pita!

Anonymous said...

both recipes sound good. And big budget aids. I'm going to give them both a try. I made hummus once, and then forgot about it. It was good.

Thanks,
Cas

Anonymous said...

You are so right on the cost factor here. Roasted red pepper hummus is a fave. Wish my home made pita looked that great. I need to practice!