Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Muffins


Walking through the grocery today with my daughter, Megan she picked up a mammoth muffin and pointed to the top, "Look, see that sparkly sugar on top? Why don't you make muffins like this, woman?" Yes, she calls me 'woman' and points to the fact that Jesus also called his mother 'woman' as her reasoning for doing this and not being disrespectful. Right.

Anyway, I can make muffins like that, I just don't because I like to limit sugar consumption here to what is in food without making it worse by putting sugar on the food as well. I caved and made them for her. This combines two of my favorites - chocolate and cinnamon.

Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Muffins
Makes 12 large muffins
Printable Recipe

3 cups flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs - beaten
1/2 cup oil or melted butter (I like olive oil for baking)
1 12 ounce package mini chocolate chips
large grained sugar - I use Wilton's White Sparkling Sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 12 large (a.k.a. mammoth) muffin tins with muffin liners. Stir together dry ingredients and make a well in the center. Blend milk, eggs, butter or oil and vanilla together and pour into well. Mix batter thoroughly and fold in chocolate chips until evenly distributed throughout batter.

Divide batter evenly between muffin tins and top each with sugar. Bake until tops spring back when touched lightly - about 20-25 minutes.

4 comments:

toontz said...

I bet she is a teen, right? Because my 19 year old says that to me. Back when I lived in the same town as my mom, I ran into her shopping at the same store. I ran my cart into hers and said "Watch where you are going, you old bat". Yes, I call my mom "You old bat" just as a joke. Got some looks from the other patrons let me tell you. We have a good time.

toontz said...

Oh, I meant to tell you that your muffins looked delish. Oh, and that I bet Jesus didn’t call him mother "The old bat", lol.

Kaitlin said...

yummy!!!

Dazy said...

I am making this tomorrow. I think I'll try to shoot it, but I don't think it will be as pretty as your picture!