Sunday, December 30, 2007

Hobbit Food

I've written about what we'll be doing on New Year's Eve for Disney and these are some recipes that go along with that post. I've also included a photo of what NOT to do when you're making Toad in the Hole.

Welsh Rarebit
Printable Recipe


4 T butter
2 t mustard
1 t Worcestershire sauce
dash Cayenne Pepper
2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c beer or milk
8 slices toast

Melt together butter, mustard, Worcestershire, cheddar and beer. Stir until smooth. Add cayenne and stir. Top each slice of toast with cheese sauce and place under a broiler until bubbly and browning.


Mushroom Blanquette
Printable Recipe


I learned to make veal blanquette in school, and there is nothing else like it. I figured the way that Hobbits love mushrooms, I'd make it with just mushrooms and no veal.

4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 lb button mushrooms - cut in halves our fourths
2 T butter
1 egg yolk
1/2 c heavy cream
10 blanched pearl onions

Cook mushrooms in butter until tender. Add stock and heat to a simmer. Combine egg yolk and heavy cream until well blended. Temper this by adding a half cup of hot stock and whisking like mad so the egg yolk does not cook. Add the cream, egg, stock to the mushrooms in a thin stream, whisking all the while. Let simmer until thickened and add the onions. Salt and pepper to taste.


As for that Toad in the Hole - do NOT try to make food for a post at the same time you're trying to get dinner for 9 in an 8ft x 8ft kitchen! Things happen - bad things - and stupid things, like forgetting to heat the casserole dish you're adding the Yorkshire Pudding to. If you miss that crucial step, you don't get a pretty crimped edge around your sausages, you get a flat I-don't-know-what. It tasted fine, but looked bad:


6 comments:

LBP said...

Thanks for the great recipes! My family will love the mushroom one!

May I have the recipe for Toad in the Hole? Looks like something my son would like.
Thanks

Linda

Anne Coleman said...

Thanks, Mauro!

Linda, Toad in the Hole is basically sausages with Yorkshire pudding over top of them. If you follow the link to my Cookies to Caviar blog, the recipe is there!

Deborah Dowd said...

A very happy and healthy new year to you and your clan! I make toad in the hole as a breakfast dish , and it is always popular (and it doesn't really matter what it looks like!)

Graham Ettridge said...

Oh my goodness!! Toad-in-the-hole!!! That is one of my all time favourites!!!! I know what you mean about having the casserole hot..lol! Yorkshire Puddings never rise properly unless the casserole is sizzling. Nevertheless, I bet it tasted wonderful.

Cakes said...

Toad-in-the-Hole is one of our favorites as well!

Anonymous said...

My son loves sausages and i might try this recipe out this weekend. Thanks for the tips Anne! Subway Sandwich should carry these. :)