Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Delicious Experiment

I love when thrown together things turn out so good that you must share them.

Yesterday my mother dropped off some lovely Portuguese rolls and a neighbor sent over Summer squash. I already had 2 large onions in the fridge that I was hanging on to for some odd reason and I got to thinking (not always a dangerous prospect for me).

Here's a rough recipe for what we just had for lunch. Someone (read; kids) ran off with my fully charged digital camera batteries and I couldn't get a photo.

2 large onions, diced
2 medium Summer squash, diced
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 medium tomato-peeled, seeded and chopped (had that in the freezer)
olive oil
salt to taste
generous amount of grated Parmesan
oregano, basil and parsley-about 1 t each minced (from my garden)

Heat a pan over medium high heat and add oil, about 2T. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often until caramelized. Add squash and cook until soft. Add tomato and seasonings, simmer for about 5 minutes more and sprinkle well with Parmesan. Stir together.

Cut Portuguese rolls in half.
In another smaller pan heat about 2T olive oil add 1t Mrs Dash Garlic and Herb and add rolls, cut side down, and toast well. Remove from pan and set roll halves on a plate, toasted side up and spoon some of the squash mixture over each. Sprinkle with more Parmesan if desired.

We picked these up and ate them like open-faced sandwiches and they were SO good! The older girls and I ate them and the baby wouldn't stop hounding me for mine!

As for a name for this...no clue. Almost a relish but not quite. Close to ratatouille but no go...any ideas?

7 comments:

PinkCat said...

Sounds wonderful. Wish I could just think of a meal off the top of my head like that.

Take care

Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

I love it when things I just throw together are happy accidents, too!

Unknown said...

I everything to make that! I think I will give it a try. I will probably have to throw some hotdogs in to entice my two younger ones. LOL!

Ian said...

Interesting. Sounds like a salsa or bruschetta topping. I like the use of the summer squash, it gives the stuff a little extra oomph. You could also puree it and use it for pizza sauce.

FLmom7 said...

mmmmmm! That sounds so good, my mouth's watering. ;o)

Anonymous said...

It sounds wonderful. I'll have to try something similar.

Cas
I never thought of the olive oil treatment for rolls. Thanks.

KFarmer said...

Sounds like a good quick dinner too. I made an egg plant dish this week-end and omg- was it nasty :( It has been so hot here, I just have not been in the mood to cook at all. My husband is praying for an early fall :)