Thursday, December 01, 2005

What's Cookin' Today

I recently purchased a 5 pound bag of black beans from the "dented cans" section at my local grocery. Here are 2 recipes for them. I made the soup 2 days ago and am in the process of making the chili. Mmmmm it sure smells good here!

Black Bean Soup
Printable Recipe

2 cups dried black beans
2 cloves garlic-minced
1 medium carrot-peeled and diced small
1 large stalk celery-diced small
1 small onion-diced small
1 can tomatoes with chiles (Rotel) or tomatoes concassé
1 ham hock
4 cups chicken, vegetable, or other stock
1 bay leaf

Sort and soak beans overnight; drain and discard soak water.
In a 4-quart pot, saute garlic, onion, carrot and celery in olive oil until tender
but not browned. Add beans, stock, ham hock, bay leaf, and tomatoes.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beans are tender, 1 to
1-1/2 hours. Remove ham hock and bay leaf before serving.


Black Bean Chili
Printable Recipe

1 pound lean ground pork
1 medium red OR green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon paprika
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup water
2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lime juice
Shredded cheddar cheese

Coat a heavy, large, covered pot with olive oil.
Heat over medium-high heat.
Add pork, bell pepper, onion, garlic and cumin. Cook and stir until pork is brown and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Drain off fat.
Stir black beans, undrained tomatoes, water, oregano and salt into mixture in pot. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
Uncover; simmer about 15 minutes more or until desired consistency.
Stir in lime juice. Ladle into soup bowls. Sprinkle each serving with cheddar cheese. Serve with tortillas, if desired.
Serves 4 to 6.


I got this recipe from Paula and plan on making them today. They sound awesome~and we all know this is one of my favorite combos~pumpkin and chocolate.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Printable Recipe


2 cups canned pumpkin
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
4 cups flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking soda combined with 2 tsp. milk
1 11 oz. bag chocolate chips

Blend pumpkin, sugar, oil and eggs together - set aside.
Stir together flour and cinnamon. Add flour to pumpkin mixture and stir in baking soda mixed with milk. 
Fold in chocolate chips and drop by teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
Bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes

These are a delicious, soft, moist cookie.

I use only half a bag of chocolate chips, and I think that's perfect, but the recipe calls for a whole bag.

11 comments:

eyes_only4him said...

I am so trying the black bean chili and the pumpkin cc cookies..

coming here is gonna make me fat:)

Anne Coleman said...

I need to put a disclaimer on my blog LOL

I am not responsible for weight gain! Something legal sounding.....hmmm

eyes_only4him said...

good idea chicky!!


or put a daily excerise program on:)

Anne Coleman said...

Wait til I have my diploma lol Then I can do cooking and aerobics at the same time ROFL

eyes_only4him said...

I would pay to see that..LOL

your a crack up...where the hell is my recpies for the day???

:)

Anne Coleman said...

Well, after we had some plumbing back-ups and a wet basement and the First Grade Talent Show today-I ran out of time...

Soon dear.......soon-I promise!

eyes_only4him said...

well your excused then..I had some plumbing/flooded basment issues in October..I shudder when I think about the bill for having the carpets dried!!

dalene said...

Anne, I just have to say you're a saint! I can't wait to fix my printer so I can get all the chicken recipes in my binder of favorite recipes. And I love black beans. I just wish I could get my kids to like them. The most frustrating thing I find about cooking up something wonderful is when my kids take one look and turn up their noses. I refuse to cook two meals so I tell them they can either go hungry or pour a bowl of cold cereal. But I really can't wait till they develop some good taste when it comes to food...or to anything for that matter.

Anne Coleman said...

So far I have 4 kids who will eat hummus --so that's not bad. There are alot of things the middle-aged kids won't try just because of the way it looks.

The older girls have grown to love many of the things I do so I'm hopeful for the rest of the kids too!

cmhl said...

hey--- thanks for the commment at my site. I just paged through you blog, and am blown away. you are AWESOME! HOW do you do all of this cooking, with 6 kids???

by the way, my new years resolution is to actually COOK something for my children. I know, I know, I shoudl be ashamed of myself. I do cook occasionally, and enjoy it, but there is a LOT of room for improvement.

Ergo, I am blogrolling you. great site.

Anne Coleman said...

cmhl...well, gosh I guess it must be genetic? lol

Thanks for the compliment but, that partly why I started my business, there are so many people who just don't understand that cooking is really not HARD --just about anyone can do it, and do it well!

Hey, food is food and you know what? Kids will grown no matter who feeds them lol