Thursday, December 15, 2005

Cookie Dough


~UPDATE AT BOTTOM OF POST~


What exactly is America's fascination with cookie dough? Maybe it's the "forbidden" aspect of eating something you really shouldn't. Might it be the texture? You know, that grainy feel that takes you back to your childhood when you heaped sugar on whatever you could when mom wasn't looking?

But, not just any cookie dough; chocolate chip cookie dough. For me, there is only one real chocolate chip cookie and that is Nestle Toll House cookies. That historic figure, Ruth Wakefield, and her "accident" have been loved world-wide since 1930. Read about her here and the next time you make chocolate chip cookies, make these.

Since eating cookie dough isn't so safe nowadays, these little bon-bons meet that need in a truly wonderful way:

Cookie Dough Truffles
From Taste of Home
Printable Recipe

1/2 c butter-softened
3/4 c packed brown sugar
2 c all purpose flour
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 c mini chocolate chips
1/2 c chopped walnuts-optional
1 -1/2 lbs chocolate candy coating

Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
Add flour, condensed milk and vanilla-mix well.
Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
Shape into 1" balls and place on waxed paper lined cookie sheets.
Cover loosely and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours until firm.
Melt candy coating in microwave or double boiler until smooth.
Do NOT overheat!
Dip balls in chocolate and set back on waxed paper.
Refrigerate until hardened, about 15 minutes.

Makes about 5 1/2 dozen
*******************************

I just made the following version and gave a piece to the 2 kids at home. Ian, who is 17 months old, took his piece and as I turned to walk back the kitchen, he RAN in there, grabbed my leg and pulled me over to the counter saying "I some, I some!"

So ... they're good-but they don't call to be dipped in chocolate like the others. I'm dipping mine anyway.

Cookie Dough Truffles II
Printable Recipe

1 cup soft butter
1½ cups brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon water
6 ounces miniature chocolate chips.

Cream butter and sugar together. Add remaining ingredients and mix well by hand. Roll into bite size balls. Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes. Store in a plastic zippered bag in the freezer. Makes 4 dozen. Let stand at room temperature 5 minutes before eating.

8 comments:

eyes_only4him said...

OMG..this sounds divine..I love cookie dough..your right, it has to be chocolate chip cookie dough..maybe its the raw eggs..LMAO..

Anne Coleman said...

Ew lol

This stuff is SO good! I have another recipe without the condensed milk and me and Katie~girl here are going to try it-I'll post it if it turns out good!

Melanie said...

This sounds so good! I may just have to try making it!

Anne Coleman said...

Jennie-nope, sorry, you can't have freak status here lol

Food oddities are my thing. :o) Ok well, maybe I'll share status.

Melanie-DO try them! They are really really wonderful!

KFarmer said...

?- do you have to store them in the fridge or can you leave them out on the counter? My house was built in 1890 something so heat is not really a factor here... :)

Anne Coleman said...

I don't think there's really anything in them that I would be concerned with spoiling~if it's cool they should be ok.

I would only worry about how firm they stayed if it got too warm.

eyes_only4him said...

hmnm...you better come cook em up for me..I seem to have trouble with these kinda thigs..I am still crying over my fugde eposode...

trusty getto said...

Gotta tell you, I just love Toll House cookies. Thanks for the links to the history lessons, which were quite interesting, Anne ! <(;^o)