Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Veggie Wednesday: Garden Goods


This past Sunday my youngest son, 4, decided to help me in the kitchen. He doesn't ask all the time, but fairly often. The kitchen is very small so I usually decline his request, but this time I let him don an apron (and a folded towel that his 7 year-old sister insisted made him "look like a chef") and help out.

We weren't having anything all too wonderful; baked burgers in gravy, roasted potatoes, green beans with zucchini and salad. He got the burgers and potatoes settled into their respective roasting pans and headed out to the garden with me. We picked green beans, a cucumber, two small zucchini, basil, parsley and chives. The green beans and zucchini were tossed together with butter, garlic and Italian herbs and the basil, parsley and chives were chopped and put into our salad.

You know, everything was decidedly tastier with things we grew ourselves and with such a fine little sous chef to work with.

9 comments:

kat said...

Cooking must be a delight with such wonderful help.

Anonymous said...

that is the most adorable thing EVER!

Anonymous said...

What a great smile!

The Zandi Zoo said...

Oh my goodness! That smile made me smile! What a cutie!

Beth Morey said...

Wow what a cutie! Is he a ham? :)

Anonymous said...

I have 2 sons, and helped raise 2 other boys for years. And all of them like to cook. I guess I just made it look like fun.

My youngest son went to chef school And my oldest son doe a lot of the cooking at their house.

Maybe your little one will always want to cook.

Cas
And your dinner sounds quite good.

A.C. said...

Your boy is adorable!

I can't wait to have a garden of my own... one day. When we have our own house. :)

Anonymous said...

adorable thing :)

KFarmer said...

Oh hun, did your heart burst? A healthy, good looking son who wants to help you cook and with food from your own garden? :)

I could tell you stories about mine and how they used to say "but MOM! I don't like FARM FOOD!" Now, they relish it. You got a sweetie as well as a smartie :)