Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Veggie Wednesday: Summer Veggie Melt and Tribute

Summer Veggie Melt

This is both a tribute and an homage to the now-closed Moravian Book Shop Cafe. I was recently in Downtown Bethlehem after not having been for several years and was surprised at the new shops, the old ones that were still there, and the ones I loved that are now gone.

My oldest daughter and I went into the Book Shop fully expecting to have coffee in the back at the Cook Shop, but found ourselves instead at the Colony Meadery. As intrigued as I was, (and still am, and plan to purchase several types of mead there in the near future) I had a moment. It's like that moment when you realize your prized stuffed animal that you've had since you were a wee child has gone missing. I didn't cry, though I truly felt as though I might. I adored that place so much.

Not only did I spend many hours there with my mother when I was a child, all of my children have had lunch there with me at one time or another. In fact, this was where I took each of my girls for "just us" lunch dates where they had my undivided attention. This is also where I sat with Kathy Lauer-Williams of the Morning Call for my interview that led to a half-page article about my time blogging with Disney.

I could write on and on about this, but I won't. I will share with you my recipe for the melt I had there each and every time I visited.

Summer vegetables are something we look forward to each year and this melt is full of garden-fresh goodness. Topped with cheese and only lightly cooked, the vegetables retain their crispness and the herbed mayo adds a layer of flavor underneath. They may look very 'handy' but a knife and fork is in order for eating them.


Summer Veggie Melt

Hands-On Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 12 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients:

4 whole wheat pitas - uncut and unsplit
4 Tablespoons light mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon freshly snipped herbs such as dill, basil, oregano or thyme
1 medium zucchini - thinly sliced
1 medium summer squash - thinly sliced
1 medium green bell pepper - thinly sliced
1 large tomato - thinly sliced
1 small red onion - thinly sliced
1 large carrot, peeled and shredded, about 1 cup
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese


Directions:

1. Combine mayo and herbs and stir until well blended. Spread 1 Tablespoon on top of each
pita.
2. Layer each pita with squashes, pepper, tomato and onion. Top with a 1/4 cup of
shredded carrots and 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
3. Microwave on 50% power for approximately 2 minutes, or until cheese is just melted.

Alternately, you can place the pitas under a broiler for several minutes or in a 350F
degree  oven until cheese is melted.

No comments: