Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Pumpkin Pie Yogurt Parfaits with Gingersnap Granola

Pumpkin Pie Yogurt Parfait with Gingersnap Granola

What happens when you get a big, beautiful box of fun stuff from Cabot? You create! As soon as the most recent box hit my doorstep I was in the zone and knew exactly what I would make: Pumpkin Yogurt Parfaits. Pumpkin yogurt is relatively new to the market, and as always I'm looking for ways to make things my own. My kids love yogurt with toppings and several of them can never get enough pumpkin pie, so I combined what I think it's a truly delicious version.

Cabot's Vanilla Bean Greek Yogurt is absolutely to-die-for! My kids got their hands on it after I had made this parfait and it was gone in mere minutes. It's the creamiest version of Greek yogurt I've had this far and paired with the pumpkin and spice flavors, it was a knockout hit! I wound up making these again in a couple days' time at the kids' request.

This is so easy to make, I'll give instructions for one parfait with instructions for a full batch of Gingersnap Granola. Ready?

Pumpkin Pie Yogurt Parfait
Serves 1

Ingredients:

1 cup Cabot Vanilla Bean Greek Yogurt
1/3 cup pumpkin pie mix*
A couple shakes of pumpkin pie spice - or about 1/8 teaspoon

Directions:

1. Stir pumpkin pie spice into yogurt and spoon 1/2 cup into a small dish or mason jar if packing for later.
2. Spoon pumpkin pie mix over yogurt and top with last 1/2 cup of yogurt.
3. Top with Gingerbread Granola (recipe below) or put granola in a BNTO cup from Cuppow and seal with a lid.
4. Eat in layers or stir it up, either way is delicious!

*Pumpkin pie mix contains pumpkin puree, spices, and sugar. You can make your own by adding sugar and spices to pumpkin puree to your liking.


Gingersnap Granola

Now for the granola. I didn't use molasses for this as I found it to be overwhelming in granola that already contains gingersnaps. The maple syrup is milder and more complementary to the cookies and oats.

Gingersnap Granola

Hands-On Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 45 minutes plus 30 minutes cooling time
Serves: Makes 6 cups

Ingredients:

4 cups rolled oats ("old fashioned"-not instant or quick cooking)
1 1/2 cups crushed gingersnap cookies-about 20 (Do not pulverize to crumbs, leave larger pieces)
1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice**
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup oil (I used olive)
1 cup maple syrup (Please, please use real syrup! This is thinner than artificial syrup and the taste is milder)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Stir together oats, crushed cookies, nuts, and spices in a large bowl.
3. Blend maple syrup and oil and pour over oat mixture.
4. Stir together until everything is well coated and spread evenly on baking sheet.
5. Bake for 20 minutes and stir well. Bake for another 15 minutes or until golden and beginning to dry.
6. Cool for half an hour before storing in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

**Pumpkin pie spice is a mixture of powdered cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and/or allspice.


No comments: