Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Anne's Meatballs

Anne's Italian Meatballs
Anne's Meatballs

When I first began making meatballs many years ago I made them as my mom did - meat, bread, milk, egg, salt and pepper and possibly nutmeg for flavoring. So-so at best but good in their own right.

Several years ago I stumbled across a recipe for Italian meatballs and I haven't gone back to the old way since. Rich in flavors and tender to the bite, these are the ones I make again and again to rave reviews at home.
Anne's Meatballs
Meatballs (upper right corner) as part of a simple Italian meal.


Anne's Meatballs
Printable Recipe
Makes 6 large, 12 medium or 24 mini

1 pound ground beef, 80/20 is best
2 slices white bread, crust removed  - preferably Italian - crumbed (about 2 ounces)
1/2 cup fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese - not the canned kind, the real stuff!
1 egg
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Kosher salt or 1/2 teaspoon table salt

Combine all and mix just until blended - don't over mix or the meat will become tough - use gentle hands here.

Shape as desired and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes (turning once) or pan fry until juices run clear. Alternatively brown them on each side and then finish in your favorite tomato sauce (this is the way I like the most!) for 15 to 20 minutes.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

These look yummy! I may have to try them using an egg substitute (allergy). Thanks for sharing!