Thursday, January 30, 2014

Stuffed Onions

Stuffed Onions
Stuffed Onions 

Hello from snowy and frigid Pennsylvania! We've been experiencing a winter like no other this year and it seems we aren't alone. Record breaking low temperatures and precipitation seem to abound across North America. It's not just cold and snow, either, it's viral infections and illnesses, too.

My own family has been sick for weeks now with something we can't seem to shake. Flu with full blown fevers, coughs and aches and then on to tummy troubles. It's been no fun. Now that tummies are better we're still cold and something like these stuffed onions warms a person through so I thought I'd share.

Shortly after I made Stuffed Cabbage and sent out a recipe, I decided to try my hand at stuffed onions. They were easier than I thought and I shared a photo on my Facebook page only to be inundated with requests for a recipe. I dutifully complied and wrote one up as quickly as possible.

Here is that recipe and I hope if you try it you let me know how it went for you!

Stuffed Onions
Stuffed and ready for sauce

Stuffed Onions
Topped with tomatoes and fresh basil


Stuffed Onions
Printable Recipe
Makes 12 
Ready In: 1 1/2 hours

2 pounds ground chicken, pork, turkey or beef

2 large eggs
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
3 cloves garlic - minced
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 Tablespoon Kosher salt (or 1 teaspoon table salt)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 large onions
2 cups crushed tomatoes
1 Tablespoon fresh basil - chopped

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

1. Peel outer leaves of onions and cut ends evenly so they sit upright
. Put into a large pot and cover with water.
2. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Remove from water and cool until able to handle.
4. Cut a slit down the side of the onions and remove the layers without tearing. You will need 4 from each onion.
5. Combine ground meat, eggs, Panko, Parmesan, garlic and salt & pepper until well mixed.
6. Stuff each onion leaf and pull ends together to surround meat completely.
7. Set onions into a large and deep baking dish. (I used a medium sized caldero)
8. Pour tomato over onions and sprinkle with basil. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes so tops will brown.


No comments: