Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Veggie Wednesday: Pickles

Cold Pickles
Cold Pickles

It's been quite some time since I've posted for Veggie Wednesday, but recently I got the inspiration to do so from pickles I made for the first time.

Pickles aren't really hard to make,  but it's one of those things so easily bought that most people don't think about making them. The recipe and method I'll share is for a very fast cold pickle that doesn't have the depth of flavor of ones made with heated liquid. I'll be making more and changing the method, but for a start these were really good. They're very crisp and perfect with sandwiches.

I started with pickling cucumbers from a local farmers' market and fresh dill and garlic. Not much else, really.
I've come to learn that pickles benefit from a quick blanch in boiling water and also from boiling the brining liquid as well. I went cold on all fronts here and they turned out very good, but I can tell they would be better  using a slightly different method.

Cold Pickles
Makes 2 quarts
Printable Recipe

Two 1-quart canning jars, washed and dried well
10 small pickling cucumbers - washed and quartered lengthwise
Cold water
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (I use Bragg's organic)
2 tablespoons Kosher salt
2 large springs of fresh dill
6 cloves garlic - roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)

Place 3 cloves garlic, 1 sprig dill, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1 Tablespoon kosher salt and 1/4 cup vinegar in the bottom of each canning jar. Stir until salt dissolved.
Add cucumbers, standing up and crowded (this won't hurt them) into each jar.
Add water to cover the cucumbers, leaving a 1/4" space at the top of the jar.
Add lids and set in refrigerator for at least 3 days.
I take mine out and shake them gently each day to keep the flavors distributed well.

No comments: