Thursday, May 10, 2012

Crispy Ravioli with Asparagus

Crispy Ravioli with Asparagus
Crispy Ravioli with Asparagus

This dish is something I make often. The very first time was a spin on one of Michael Symon's recipes for a get-together I had. I couldn't find gnocchi that I liked and didn't have time to make my own, so I substituted ravioli and the rest is history. The other ingredients are also loosely based on the original recipe, but I like asparagus here and nobody but I would eat morels, so mushrooms were out.

We've had this with green beans and peas as well, and the addition of fresh shrimp is perfect for a heartier meal. It goes together very quickly and can be adapted to tastes. I really like this method for ravioli - it's a bit like a fried pierogi with onions, but with a brightness from the lemon zest and Italian parsley. The next time you go meatless, give this one a try!

Crispy Ravioli with Asparagus
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot, diced fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound fresh cheese ravioli (I prefer mini)
1 pound fresh asparagus, washed and woody stems cut, cut into 1" lengths
zest of one lemon
2 Tablespoons freshly chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon or more Kosher salt
1/2 cup shredded fresh Parmigiana cheese

1. Melt butter in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Saute shallots and garlic briefly and add ravioli - you do not need to cook the ravioli ahead of time.
2. Keep the ravioli moving so they will brown but not stick and add the asparagus. Cook until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add lemon zest, parsley and salt. Toss to coat.
4. Add shredded cheese to each serving.

2 comments:

kat said...

oh yeah, i love ravioli with a little crispness like perogi

LBCBeachBunny said...

Hi Anne, I tried this recipe last night and boy did my family love it! The kids wanted to add a little bit of light alfredo sauce to it, but the adults had it as is. SO GOOD! Thank you for sharing your recipes on here. I cannot wait to try more.