Saturday, June 11, 2011

Chive Blossom Vinegar


Years.

It took years for me to finally get a chive plant to bear blossoms. I'm not sure why I had such a difficult time, but my best guess (along with a bit of investigation) is that chives don't bloom until their second year. At least mine didn't. I had planted year after year in various locations and many times didn't even get basic chives. I was told often that they grew "anywhere, like weeds", without having proof of that at all.

Last year I grew chives in a container, but only the chives themselves grew. I put them to bed with the rest of the garden in the fall and this spring, sure enough, they grew with blossoms attached. Finally! My reasoning for attempting to grow them all these years was solely for the blossoms to make chive blossom vinegar with.

I was a happy camper this year.

So, here is a photo or two of the blossoms, the vinegar making, and a final usage in chive blossom mayo. Click on the photos to view them larger.


The method is as simple as it looks: Harvest the chives with blossoms intact. Rinse well and trim blossoms from stems. Set chives aside for another use. Toss blossoms into a glass jar with a non-metal lid. Add vinegar to cover, lid tightly and set in a cool, dark place for 2 weeks. Strain blossoms and keep vinegar in the dark to prevent the color from fading.



Vinegar on the first day, one day later and two weeks later. The strained and finished product on the bottom.



Homemade mayo is far easier than you think. I always make mine by hand, but feel free to search the web for blender and processor recipes - there a re quite a few out there.

Here is 1 egg yolk, 1 Tablespoon of chive blossom vinegar, a pinch of white pepper and salt to taste. Blend well and pour 1 cup of oil into the egg mixture in a VERY thin and slow stream while whisking continuously until mayonnaise forms. Taste for seasoning and add more salt if necessary. Keep covered tightly in the refrigerator and use within 1 week.




6 comments:

Deborah Dowd said...

Unlike you Anne, my chives seem to be always booming- I can't wait to try this vinegar recipe!!!

kat said...

I seem to always get blooms too. So, how much flavor do they add to the vinegar

{ T G L } said...

That dressing looks great! And what a beautiful food blog you have!

Best wishes,
This Good Life

Mobile said...

Its very nice blog and great service.I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog,especially on this post. Keep up the good work.

Yukari - The Kitchen Fairy said...

This looks so yummy! I am one of your follower now! Congrats on your blog! :)

Kristin said...

I never would have thought to do that! If/when I can find any blossoms I will be trying it out!