Sunday, March 20, 2011

Baked Ham and Cheese Sandwiches


There's nothing like a versatile recipe to make my day. Add to that affordable and quick and you have a real winner for me. With so many picky eaters in this household, it's difficult to make something that everyone will like. This sandwich can be made with any meat or cheese and come out just as good so experiment a little like we do. Switch out the ham for turkey or the provolone for Swiss or cheddar. There really is no end to the combinations with this recipe.

The original recipe (this is actually quite old) most often calls for a sweeter roll like Hawaiian, but the miniature Portuguese rolls I used were perfect as well. I still think the glaze could be a little sweeter, but everyone else here was fine with them as-is.
Baked Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
Makes one 9x13 pan
Printable Recipe

1 stick butter or margarine (to heck with cholesterol, we all know butter is better)
3 Tablespoons honey mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
12 - 16 small rolls such as King's Hawaiian
3/4 pound thinly sliced ham
1/2 pound sliced provolone

1. Melt butter and stir in honey mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
2. Brush the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan with glaze.
3. Split rolls in half horizontally and layer the bottom of the pan with the bottom halves of rolls.
4. Brush the cut sides of the rolls with glaze and layer ham and cheese on each roll.
5. Place top halves of rolls on the sandwiches and brush with remaining glaze.
6. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

8 comments:

Annie Jones said...

I may have to try these. My sis has made some similar sandwiches, but the glaze was poured over and it ended making the sandwiches a little soggy. (Yuck)

These sound better. :)

Emily Malloy said...

This looks so delicious.

Andrea Libertella said...

It looks like some sandwiches i've eaten in Spain! So delicious!
Andrea from Italy

Lo said...

I have been craving ham sandwiches all week. How could you have known? :)

Jill@SimpleDailyRecipes.com said...

Stumbled! I wish I was eating one these right now. I'm so hungry!

Anne Coleman said...

You're wonderful, Jill!

Andrea said...

these look very good. I think I will try it.

Julie said...

They look delicious...going to give these a try out:) Thank you