Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Garden Interlude

I'm taking a moment today to share photos from my garden. These range in date from first planting in May to today. This isn't everything we have growing, just some of the photos I wanted to show you. Enjoy!

Catnip flowers - very pretty and something you'd miss if you didn't look closely enough.



Black beans have purple flowers! How very pretty.



Once the beans are fully grown, they are left on the plant to dry. Check occasionally to see if the beans have turned black. Once they have, they are done.


Black beans in the pod.

Wild mint - my favorite type. I also have spearmint but don't like it nearly as much.


Johnny Jump-Up that belongs to my oldest daughter.



Basil ready to flower.


Forget-Me-Nots This is my second year with them. The seed was from last year's crop.


Cilantro Flowers.


Whenever I see these mimosa blossoms I think of Horton Hears a Who!


Nemesis - Japanese Beetle. He was far flung right after the shot was snapped.


Strawberries.


Soon-to-be tomatoes.


Grape tomatoes ripe for the picking.


Better Boys coming along nicely.


Zucchini blossom.


Cosmos - one I grow each year.


Can't recall what these are, but we had them planted with small purple flowers and the effect was very pretty.


French Lavender.


Pumpkin vine curl.

6 comments:

Jenni said...

Beautiful!!! Would you believe I have a zucchini plant growing up in my flower garden? I did NOT plant it there, plus the veg garden is in the back yard and this is in the front yard! LOL!

Chaffee Street Cafe` said...

Oh my I am going to start calling you Mary, mary because your garden is so cool! The catnip blooms remind me of tiny orchids. And the zucchini flowers is what I want to try. I have got to find a roadside stand and get me some. I'v been waiting to try them for almost a year. You all have done a marvelous job. Hugs!

Anne Coleman said...

Jenni - that's how our pumpkins started. We didn't *really* plant them - we set old pumpkins in one spot for too long and after FINALLY moving them to compost, the seeds sowed themselves and we have a patch this year!

Theresa - I think the same about the catnip - so very pretty!

Jerry said...

Nice garden, Anne. I'm jealous. all my plants were killed by heat or snails...

Anonymous said...

lovely pictures...your garden is beautiful...

kat said...

I love that you are growing your own black beans! I remember our CSA writing about how hard it is to find black beans that aren't grown in China.