Friday, June 25, 2010

Substituting Ingredients


When it comes to essential kitchen reference books, there are several I wouldn't be without. Substituting Ingredients, 4th Edition by Becky Sue Epstein and published by Sourcebooks, is now in that stack of books.

I can't count the times I've gotten excited to make a dish only to find that I was missing a necessary ingredient. Frustrating! Even with all of my culinary experience I found I was still scratching my head in wonder and eventually throwing in the towel.

Enter Substituting Ingredients. From A to Z there are more than 1,000 substitutions for all types of ingredients. So, whether you need to substitute because of allergies, the need to find more affordable alternatives or just the lack of time to get to the market, this book provides viable and brilliant answers to your ingredient dilemmas.

This being the 4th edition means that there are more ingredients included and more substitutions available than ever before. There are also sections for measurement equivalents, solutions to your most common culinary disasters, green and nontoxic cleaning solutions and a handy herb and spice guide.

This is a book that will make its way to your kitchen counter and most likely never leave! Order a copy today at Amazon.com and never be without the ingredients you need to create perfect meals.

4 comments:

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Thanks for the book rec. With my family's incredible range of food issues, substitutes are essential!

Deborah Dowd said...

What a great idea- I will have to check this out since it seems this is always happening to me- or people callme toask what to substitute in a jam!

Bob and Meredith DeVoe said...

I TOTALLY need this book. I live in Nigeria where making do is a way of life!! Thanks, I had no idea a book like this existed.

Anonymous said...

Another entry in this general class, but approached from the other direction, is Schneider and Colchie's Better than Store-Bought. The subtitle is "Authoritative recipes for the foods foods that most people never knew they could make at home," and they are indeed both authoritative and achievable. I married into my copy, and wouldn't take for it.