Friday, April 23, 2010

Poaching Eggs


Poaching Eggs
Perfectly Poached Egg

When I posted Poached Eggs on Ratatouille Bruschetta, I received comments far and wide (here, Twitter etc.) about the poaching of eggs. It seems that many find it to be a daunting task, so I thought I'd offer a short tutorial about making them.

Poaching Eggs


  1. Fresh eggs are best - the white will become watery and more likely to 'thread' with older eggs. Crack the egg into a small bowl, using one bowl for each egg you intend to cook.
  2. A pot of water is not necessary, rather two inches or so of water will suffice when cooking the eggs. Fill a small pan with two to three inches of water and bring to a simmer only - do not boil! Using a wider pan will allow you to cook more eggs at a time.
  3. Add a teaspoon to a tablespoon of vinegar to the pan. The vinegar will help the whites stay together and usually does not affect the taste. Lower a bowl with an egg just to the edge of the water and gently slip into the water.
  4. Some will say to turn off the heat and cover for 3 minutes, I say it's not necessary and have never lost an egg yet.
  5. Simmer gently for 3 minutes, skimming the surface of the water to remove whites and foam that accumulate.
  6. Remove eggs carefully with a slotted spoon and serve as desired.

5 comments:

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

I just poached an egg in my last blog. For years I was a poached egg klutz, but have slowly learned about how to simmer and such. I find that practice makes perfect. The more eggs I poach, the better they look.

Wine makes a great poaching liquid! Reduce it down and add some cream after you poach the eggs in it and then pour that over your eggs!

Anne Coleman said...

I've poached eggs in everything you can imagine! Even grits :) (of course it was more 'cooked' than poached, but you get the idea) Wine, I haven't tried yet!

kat said...

We've have really discovered the joy of the poached egg lately on top of salads & such.

Poorna Banerjee said...

I sort of tried to poach eggs in chicken broth and it turned out really yummy. Have you ever tried that?

Katie P said...

I LOVE poached eggs, but have always been too scared to try them. Maybe I'll have to now!

~Katie P
http://foodwineandmodpodge.blogspot.com/