Monday, October 31, 2005

Found!

Unpacking another box (of things we obviously don't NEED since we moved in August and the box is still packed) I found this book and when I opened it to my favorite page I found something I thought I had lost, my letter from Peter Mayle.

My letter to him was brief and I mentioned how I felt it was "a daunting task; writing to the writer" and as you can see, he made me feel at ease about it. I also told him how his books were so well written that I had a tendency to live vicariously through him, knowing I would never be able to visit Provence.

He was very gracious to have taken the time to write me back, and obviously had actually read my letter.

I love letting good writers know just that, it's such a difficult thing for me to do (write) that I am often in awe of those I feel are well written.

I would "translate" this but then it would lose it's charm.





4 comments:

Melanie said...

How neat!

Perri said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I see we have lots in common. I also have 4 girls and 2 boys. My grandm also died this year. It's tough even though I'm not sure how much longer we would have them live - till 200 or so? Mine was 95. I've read almost your whole blog - so now I'm caught up and will be back. I'm going to go post a recipe for Apple Cider muffins that I bet your family will love if they are bread lovers.

Babette said...

That autographed letter a treasure!

I noticed that the "Year in Provence" videos are available from amazon.com for
$13.49 (used). I know you would love them and you must have loads of time for watching videos. ;~)

Heather said...

So. Jealous.

The movie is alright, but you don't get the same flavour as from the books. Enjoyable enough, tho'.