Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sunday Dinner: BBQ-Fried Chicken

This photo is one of the little one's plates - I always cut the tenders from the chicken breasts as they are easier for tiny hands to grasp.

This week's Sunday Dinner is a combination of things my family loves. Declan (our 9 year-old son) could probably live on barbecue sauce; he puts it on almost everything. The rest of the family is crazy about fried chicken so I put the two together and it was a hit.

I was able to find boneless, skinless chicken breasts at Valley Farm this week for $1.99 a pound - hard to beat these days - and along with homemade breadcrumbs (I never, ever buy them) from a leftover French batard I had, this was quite the frugal dinner.

BBQ-Fried Chicken
Smashed Potatoes

Steamed Broccoli

Carrot Cupcakes


BBQ-Fried Chicken
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

The larger crumb on these makes them crunchier but can be harder to work with. Be sure to press the breadcrumbs onto the chicken well before frying.

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves - pounded or cut to even thickness
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
2 cups large-crumb breadcrumbs
salt and pepper to taste
oil for frying

Coat each chicken breast in barbecue sauce and then in breadcrumbs - pressing onto spots that are not covered. Fry in hot oil until golden brown on both sides - about 5 minutes each side. Drain well on paper toweling.



Smashed Potatoes
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

8 white or gold new potatoes - washed well
salt and pepper
olive oil

Cook potatoes in boiling water until just tender - about 15 - 20 minutes. Grease a baking sheet with olive oil and place potatoes on sheet - several inches apart. Gently press down on each potato until they flatten slightly but do not fall apart. Salt and pepper well. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes - turn over with tongs being careful to hold each potato together. Bake for another 10 minutes until browned well.

8 comments:

kat said...

That is one tasty meal

Sonshine said...

That is a good idea to dip in bbq sauce and then in breadcrumbs! I hadn't thought of that before. :)

That looks scrumptious! Thanks for sharing! :)

Emily said...

This looks yummy! A new spin to fried chicken. I'll keep this in mind next time I make fried chicken!

Melissa said...

I would not have thought to combine the two preferences. Very nice.

*Crunch*

Amanda said...

Oh this really sounds good! I made something similar last week and it was delicious!

i've started a new blog event called Thrifty Thursdays if you are interested in blogging along! http://amandascookin.blogspot.com/2009/02/gauging-interest-thrifty-thursday.html :)

Ruth Strong said...

Love the sound of this! And I have some spare breadcrumbs and BBQ sauce too!!!!

Midwest Mom said...

Thanks. I'll have to try the smashed potatoes. Mine like a little honey mixed in with the bbq sauce -- tasty!

Have a great week! - Julia

hmb said...

That chicken looks de-lish!! I'll have to try it out as soon as the hubs gets back from training!! I discovered your blog this morning, hope you don't mind my following.